Datum Hawk – The Future of Condition Monitoring
What is Datum Hawk?
Datum Hawk is an advanced self-learning condition monitoring system, capable of analysing each individual cylinder of the engine from the dynamic torque signature. Coupled with the Datum Shaft Power Meter, Datum Hawk represents the ultimate sensor system for real-time condition-based ship monitoring, allowing for sharply-focused preventative maintenance, thereby providing savings of both time and money.
Datum Hawk is a “Smart”, intelligent system, capable of carrying out the torsional signature analysis of main engine(s), auxiliary engine(s) and diesel generator(s), giving a true insight into the vessel’s mechanical health.
Datum Hawk Features
The live engine performance dashboard displays all the current data regarding the vessel’s speed (rpm), power (MW), torque (kNm) and fuel consumption (ton/hr). It provides visibility of the engine’s current performance versus a self-learning baseline, vital for performance optimisation. The baseline is calculated using state of the art modelling techniques and is customised to each engine.
Information is transmitted 24/7 to the Touchscreen panel PC, which can be mounted in the engine control room or on the bridge, giving the crew full visibility of the engine condition & performance.
Assessment of the engine’s health condition in realtime enables the optimum performance to be maintained at all times.
Datum Hawk has extensive capabilities, allowing seamless integration with other systems onboard, including but not limited to, flow meters, Canbus systems and other interfaces, to provide a comparison of actual engine power produced versus the fuel delivered to the engine.
The Live SFOC dashboard displays Specific Fuel Oil Consumption in g/KWh (grams per kilowatt-hour), giving a true indication of fuel consumption at all times, under any engine load. The fuel type (HSFO, LSFO or MGO) can be selected using the simple to use Datum Hawk Touchscreen PC.
The historical engine performance dashboard enables the crew to access data from any specific event by simply selecting the date and time period from the onscreen calendar. This is a fantastic tool for review and analysis of past events, geared towards a deeper understanding of the vessel and great aid for improving maintenance planning.
The reports dashboard shows information, which includes power (MW), torque (kNm), speed (rpm) and fuel consumption (ton/hr), for a specific date.
These reports can be downloaded on-board or (if integrated into the ship’s network) sent ashore for ship owner, fleet operators and technical teams to analyse and review.
The reports data can be easily exported as .pdf or .csv documents at the touch of a button. It is also locally stored on the hard drive, archiving the data so that it can be accessed if & when required.
Datum Hawk Benefits
- Live Monitoring of each cylinder enables defects and changes in the engine performance to be identified before an event occurs.
- All Engines have their own Unique Profile. Datum Hawk identifies each cylinder & records the Engine Profile from the Torque Signature at 2,000 samples per second.
- A quantum leap in shaft power measurement, Datum Hawk enables Live monitoring of the engine 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with data that is simple to interpret and display.
- The self-learning methodology, capable of predicting events in advance of any critical failures, is developed to reduce vessel and engine down-time and optimise ship propulsion efficiency.
- When combined with Fuel Flow Meters, Datum Hawk can display real-time Specific Fuel Oil Consumption (g/kWh), essential data for optimal vessel performance.
- Datum Hawk enables the engine to be run at peak performance, reducing Fuel Usage and therefore Emission Levels.